v1.5.1 in P3Dv5 No Daylight Savings

Everything related to SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer
downscc

v1.5.1 in P3Dv5 No Daylight Savings

#1 Post by downscc » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 pm

I say no Daylight Savings but I haven't tested at locations that don't recognize it in other time zones different from mine (US Central).

For example, selecting current local time for KCRP with P3D scenario setup screen I get an offset to UTC that is GMT-6 instead of GMT-5. Selecting a correct local time for KLAX I get an offset to UTC that is GMT-8 instead of GMT-7. I've noticed this one hour error at other locations such as PANC and PHNL. I am verifying the simulator's UTC time value using ActiveSky locked to simulator time and this gives me a reliable indication of what is the simulator UTC. If I set to MHTG (Central time zone no daylight savings) and I set the simulator local time to one hour earlier than my current time (Central Daylight) then there the UTC is correct.

I assume the recognition of daylight savings is in your time zone bgl files. I have used the Time Zone Fixer application to verify I have a current good install. I have verified your SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer directory is located in the P3Dv5 root folder. I have confirmed the default scenery\base\scenery\timezone.bgl has the extension modified with a ".bak"

I'm out of ideas.
Dan Downs KCRP

victor.papa

Re: v1.5.1 in P3Dv5 No Daylight Savings

#2 Post by victor.papa » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:44 am

downscc wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 pm
I say no Daylight Savings but I haven't tested at locations that don't recognize it in other time zones different from mine (US Central).

For example, selecting current local time for KCRP with P3D scenario setup screen I get an offset to UTC that is GMT-6 instead of GMT-5. Selecting a correct local time for KLAX I get an offset to UTC that is GMT-8 instead of GMT-7. I've noticed this one hour error at other locations such as PANC and PHNL. I am verifying the simulator's UTC time value using ActiveSky locked to simulator time and this gives me a reliable indication of what is the simulator UTC. If I set to MHTG (Central time zone no daylight savings) and I set the simulator local time to one hour earlier than my current time (Central Daylight) then there the UTC is correct.

I assume the recognition of daylight savings is in your time zone bgl files. I have used the Time Zone Fixer application to verify I have a current good install. I have verified your SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer directory is located in the P3Dv5 root folder. I have confirmed the default scenery\base\scenery\timezone.bgl has the extension modified with a ".bak"

I'm out of ideas.
Hi,
I checked KCRP and with Time Zone Fixer V1.5.1 (Prepar3D V5) the local time at KCRP is UTC-5h (on 15 June). I think something is wrong with your Time Zone Fixer's configuration and your flight simulator can't use it properly.
Please go to [Prepar3D V5 root folder]\SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer\Scenery\ address and check if you have all 6 BGL files (SESTZ_01.BGL to SESTZ_06.BGL) and also check the Scenery folder size (under SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer folder) is at least 15 Megabytes.

Please let me know the result and I will help you solve the problem.

downscc

#3 Post by downscc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks in advance for the assist.

I have six .bgl files however the largest is only 6 kb and the total folder size is only 184 kb. I've read instructions to NOT re-run the installer so now what?

EDIT: Found the solution. Downloaded Patch 1.5.1 and noticed immediately that my .bgl files as installed are compressed. Files expanded and copied to time zone fixer \scenery folder and testing now..... and confirmed. Working perfect. Not sure how that happened but I find it interesting that P3D defaults to something in lieu of any time zone .bgl files and that probably is simply an hour per 15 deg. I challenged LM in their P3Dv4 where I found both Anchorage PANC and Honolulu PHNL an hour in error and they explained at the time that their time zone definitions only exist for heavily populated areas of the world and otherwise use the standard hour per 15 deg. That was the reason I purchased your product and have been very happy with it. Thanks for that.

Also, found something interesting in getting local time offsets for anyplace in the world: Google "ICAO time zone" and it works 99% of the time. For example "WSSS time zone" returns GMT+8 and current local time.
Dan Downs KCRP

victor.papa

#4 Post by victor.papa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:14 am

downscc wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 pm
Thanks in advance for the assist.

I have six .bgl files however the largest is only 6 kb and the total folder size is only 184 kb. I've read instructions to NOT re-run the installer so now what?

EDIT: Found the solution. Downloaded Patch 1.5.1 and noticed immediately that my .bgl files as installed are compressed. Files expanded and copied to time zone fixer \scenery folder and testing now..... and confirmed. Working perfect. Not sure how that happened but I find it interesting that P3D defaults to something in lieu of any time zone .bgl files and that probably is simply an hour per 15 deg. I challenged LM in their P3Dv4 where I found both Anchorage PANC and Honolulu PHNL an hour in error and they explained at the time that their time zone definitions only exist for heavily populated areas of the world and otherwise use the standard hour per 15 deg. That was the reason I purchased your product and have been very happy with it. Thanks for that.

Also, found something interesting in getting local time offsets for anyplace in the world: Google "ICAO time zone" and it works 99% of the time. For example "WSSS time zone" returns GMT+8 and current local time.
Awesome!
You are really expert in Time Zones matter :D
There are two series of Time Zone Fixer BGL files at the moment. Both have the same names (SESTZ_01.BGL to SESTZ_06.BGL) but they have different sizes. Those smaller files work in Prepar3D V4 and bigger files work in Prepar3D V5. We also have two different Time Zone Fixer Automatic Update programs one for Prepar3D V4 and one for Prepar3D V5.